A result source in SharePoint 2013 is used to segment certain types of content so they can be searched in a narrower fashion than searching against all content within the index. Using result sources, we can define query rules that must be met by the content in order for it to appear in search results. In previous versions of SharePoint this concept was addressed through search scopes.
SharePoint 2013 presents us with user interface in Central Administration where we are able to create new result sources and configure their properties:
However, at the time of writing this post, there is no Windows PowerShell cmdlet available to create a result source in SharePoint 2013. This is rather limiting, because as user-friendly as the browser interface is, we still need a way to automate search configuration, especially when developing and deploying solutions for a customer. It’s a fact of life that most SharePoint administrators do not make a happy face when being handed a thick document with manual actions to execute, especially if it needs to be done several times on different environments.
I have to admit SharePoint really got me with this one.
We had built a SharePoint Server 2013 environment for development and research purposes as soon as the RTM version was released. I remember configuring the Search Service Application and creating a Search Center to play with the new features back then, and everything was working quite well.
Then a couple of days ago I started creating a proof-of-concept for an upcoming SharePoint 2013 project, I fired up my suspended virtual machine only to find out that search had stopped working.
In the Search Center I was getting “Unexpected response from server“:
In this post we go through the step-by-step process of creating a SharePoint solution that deploys a publishing page layout and a publishing page for press releases. Provisioning page layouts and pages using features and solution packages (*.wsp) allows for improved code reuse and makes it easier to move the solution between environments (development, testing, staging, and production).
As a matter of fact, there are already quite a few examples on the web that cover the topic of creating a SharePoint 2010 publishing page layout in Visual Studio 2010. One particularly good article is posted from Becky Bertram on her blog here.
However, in a recent project of ours, we also needed to deploy publishing pages together with the page layout, and after coming up with the solution, we decided to share our experience. The SharePoint Developer Tools in Visual Studio 2010 do not include specific project item templates for doing this, but it can be achieved using the module item template.
Here is how our solution will look like when we are done:
Please note that in order to successfully deploy the solution the target SharePoint site should be a publishing site.